History of MCYC Link:
In 1933, the Michigan City Yacht
Club, as its inception under a group of enterprising yachtsmen,
headed by Harry Frey, gathered to form an organization dedicated
to the promotion of yachting on our lakefront.
The original charter was applied for
and granted by the State of Indiana on May 27, 1933. (Of the
people attending the first meeting of MCYC, Hartly Job is the
only active member left.)
The Michigan City Yacht Club was
founded as a non-profit corporation "for promotion of
yachting." Every effort!was made to increase racing
activities for sail yachts, to organize Club cruises for power
yachts, to develop the vitally important Junior Program and to
carry on the social life of the Club in both summer and winter
in a manner of interest to all members.
Dreams reached fruition in 1938 when
the last privately owned property was found to be for sale.
Price of the property was $3,500.00. A plan was developed by T.M.
Blackwood and James Drain to sell 140 memberships at $25.00 each
to raise the necessary purchase price. This was accomplished and
until 1956, the membership was limited to the original 140
Remodeling of the old house by
ambitious club members began immediately. In 1939, a basement to
contain a locker room and washrooms was completed. Construction
of the west lounge and sail loft was completed. The first issue
of the Windjammer under editor Blackwood, was dated July 1,
In 1941 there was a payment in full
of the original loan to purchase the Club property and new plans
to finish the basement and the furnace room
Since the Club's inception, members
have been adding new areas to the existing building and doing
extensive remodeling, decorating and maintenance projects. The
Club will be celebrating it's 69th anniversary this year.
In 1987 the club served as host to
the Pan American Games yachting event.